Warren Local Fauna
Since the early 1900s, a moderately large assemblage of fossil mammals has been collected from the Horned Toad Formation. C.L. Baker (U.C. Berkeley) first reported fossils from this area in 1911 (Reynolds et al. 1991). A. Alexander and L. Kellogg, also from U.C. Berkeley, collected additional specimens in 1925, and R. A. Stirton recovered more fossils in 1938 (Figure 25.1). The collections were significantly expanded by W. Daily, G. Gustely, and others from U.C. Riverside from the 1960s through the early 1980s (Figure 25.2).
May (1981a) described the mammalian fossils from the Horned Toad Hills in a Master's thesis at U.C. Riverside under the direction of M.O. Woodburne. The U.C. Riverside specimens are now housed at the University of California Museum of Paleontology at U.C. Berkeley. When the collection was transferred to Berkeley, specimen numbers were modified by replacing the prefix of UCR with UCMP and adding the number 3 to the original numeric designation. Locality numbers were unchanged.
This collection of stratigraphically associated fossils is referred to as the Warren Local Fauna and includes 24 identified mammalian taxa:
Hypolagus vetus, Hypolagus edensis
Prothomomys warrenensis n. gen., n. sp.
Repomys gustelyi, Postcopemys valensis, Peromyscus sp. A, Peromyscus sp. B, Jacobsomys dailyi, n. sp.,
Borophagus cf. B. secundus
Machairodus sp. cf. M. coloradensis
Rhynchotherium sp. cf. R. edensis, Pliomastodon vexillarius
Teleoceras sp. cf. T. fossiger
cf. Prosthennops sp.
Megatylopus sp. cf. M. matthewi, Hemiauchenia vera, Camelidae gen. et. sp. indet.
We have chosen to follow
McKenna and Bell (1997) for classification of mammals at the ordinal level.